Roasted cauliflower and chicken breast recipe. How do you make roasted cauliflower?
I’m not the biggest Mary Berry fan, but I have to admit that sometimes she (if indeed it is her) has some neat ideas. So I almost followed her recipe to the letter, but I had to add something to it. In the programme she makes stuffed chicken tights wrapped in bacon, but I didn’t go that far. My protein was breast and therefore my recipe is roasted cauliflower and chicken breast.
- 1/2 small cauliflower head
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 spoon of capers
- butter (optional)
- lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
By all means if you would like a vegetarian version of this dish then leave the meat (and therefore the butter) out. It will still be nice, as a starter, or even as a complete main course.
Below there’s a short video of the roasted cauliflower and chicken recipe, followed by a few words (pointers and tips) on how and why.
- As I mentioned before the meat here is optional. As I served this as a main meal I felt that it needed something extra hence the chicken breast. In the clip there’s also some smoked lardons on the board. I used these in something else, although I admit that initially they were destined for this dish. But I thought that smoked bacon and lemon juice would be somewhat of a wired combination so I decided against using the bacon. Anyone tried lemon and bacon? 🙂
- I also used some of the tender cauliflower leaves. Mary doesn’t. They brought the dish an extra texture and also look good. I discarded the older leaves, they’re good for rabbit food until I figure out something in which I can use them.
- Use plenty of olive oil. The cauliflower absorbs quite a bit, as you can see I added it twice, plus some in the dressing. But olive oil is good for you, so no harm done here.
- You can leave out the butter and just fry the chicken in olive oil. Works the same way. And should you wish, squeeze some lemon juice over the chicken right at the end. That’s extra flavour.
That’s all that I have to point out about this roasted cauliflower and chicken breast recipe. Just a few ingredients (actually just 3) but of great effect. Nice textures, fresh taste from the lemon, a complete dish whether just as a starter or a main meal.
More recipes with cauliflower:
- Romanian pork and cauliflower stew.
- Curried cauliflower and eggs with Swiss chard.
- Soup Julienne. A 257 years old recipe.
Leave a Reply