Veal shin recipe. Kalamata olives, anchovies and vegetables extra.
This veal shin recipe isn’t that far away from the classic Italian osso bucco, it uses the same meat…but yet again I didn’t want to go down the classic route. So I changed a few things, with great results, even if I say so myself.
And my other (better) half, that usually stays away from beef meat and products, has eaten it gladly and with much joy, so success.
- 2 pcs veal shank (3-400g)
- 1 red onion, 1 carrot, 1 tomato, 1/2 lemon, 1-2 garlic cloves
- few kalamata olives
- 2-3 anchovies filet (salted in oil)
- 50 ml olive oil
- flour to dust meat
- 2-3 bay leaves, a touch of thyme
- salt & pepper
- 1 glass white wine
- Dust the meat with flour, shake off the excess and fry in the heated oil on both sides to seal and catch on a nice colour.
- Add the veg. Quarter the onion, slice the carrot, chop the garlic into large chunks the same with the tomato. Add to pan.
- Now add the peel from the lemon, the olives and the anchovies. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour a glass of white wine and the same amount of water in the pan.
- Cook in the oven at 180C for about one hour. The meat will melt in the mouth, the veg will still have some texture, and the sauce will be rich and smooth.
Similar posts and recipes:
- Beer and beef? Charbonade Flamande recipe.
- Recipe plus video – Wild boar stew.
- Recipe plus video – Bacon and Brussels sprouts.