Romanian pork and cauliflower stew. Short video recipe included.
This pork and cauliflower stew is a great dish for those that are on a low, or no carbohydrates diet. The cauliflower is a great replacement for potatoes, dumplings, pasta or rice, and adds to this dish great flavour and texture.
Watch this short video (one minute and 20 seconds) to help you make up your mind about this simple and easy dish.
- 500 grams of cubed pork meat (shoulder, leg, belly)
- 400 grams cauliflower florets
- 1 onion
- 1-2 sweet peppers (depending on size)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, sweet paprika, ground caraway
- 250 ml tomato passata or 2 spoons of tomato paste
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 50 ml oil
- fresh parsley and celery leaves
- Heat up the oil in a pot or pan (cast iron works best) and fry up de meat cubes until they get some nice colour on all sides and to “remove” the excess water that’s present in the meat.
- Once nice and brown, season to taste with salt, sweet paprika, black pepper and ground caraway. You could also use cumin instead of caraway, it’ll have a stronger more robust flavour.
- Add the vegetables. I used onion, peppers and garlic, but other veg can be added, such as carrots, celery or celeriac.
- Cover with water and drop in the tomato passata and bay leaves. Leave it to simmer on a low heat until the meat is soft and tender. This could take more or less time depending on the cuts of meat used.
- Once the meat is done, add the cauliflower florets. Again, leave it to simmer until the cauliflower is soft, but keeping just a bit of bite and texture. You don’t want it mushy.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and celery leaves to add extra flavour and colour to this pork and cauliflower stew.
Serve with fresh crusty bread to mop up all the lovely sauce.
Other popular recipes in this category:
- Best Romanian chicken paprikash with flour dumplings.
- Traditional cabbage rolls (sarmale) stuffed with minced pork and smoked meats.
- Chicken and noodles soup.