Romanian beef broth. Savoury rich beef and vegetables soup.
This beef and vegetable soup (broth) with diced meat and lots of different veg, is quite popular in Romania. Although not always made the same way, or indeed the same taste everywhere, by following this recipe you can get an authentic taste of this broth.
I shall call it, “iconic”, just because it’s being served in almost every single eatery in the county. Use any cuts of beef that you want, from topside to brisket or fillet. Not that I would use fillet for this, ever. Something with a bit of fat will do.
- 400g beef meat
- 1 onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1-2 red peppers (yellow)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large potato
- salt, pepper, sweet paprika
- fresh parsley, lovage, celery leaves, thyme
- Dice the meat into small cubes, the smaller the faster the meat will boil and be soft and tender. Rough size, 1 cm X 1 cm.
- Do the same with the vegetables, only dice them smaller. A spoonful of meat and veg could be quite hard to eat should everything be diced into larger cubes.
- In a large pot bring 2 liters of water to boil. You can also (for a better taste) use beef stock. Add the meat, reduce the flame and simmer (skimming off any impurities) for about 20 minutes with a pinch of salt.
- After 20 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a teaspoon of sweet paprika and some thyme.
- Place all the vegetables into the pot, bring back to simmer for another 20 minutes or until all the veg are cooked.
Serve with fresh bread, always with some sour cream (or creme fraiche) on the side, and chilies, or pickled chilies.
Romanian beef broth (soup), always appreciated.
Other popular recipes in this category:
- Best Romanian chicken paprikash with flour dumplings.
- Traditional cabbage rolls (sarmale) stuffed with minced pork and smoked meats.
- Chicken and noodles soup.