Roasted pumpkin strudel recipe. Simple and easy to make.
Did you ever think that making roasted pumpkin strudel would be that easy? Just have a quick look at the clip below, see the ingredients list and soon you’ll be “baking” in no time.
I used cardamom and cinnamon as spices for the pumpkin, but you could also use others, like nutmeg or vanilla, whatever you think that would go well with it.
- 1 butternut squash or pumpkin, about 6-700g
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- the seeds from a few cardamom pods
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (or light puff)
- 1 spoon of brown sugar (optional)
- icing sugar to dust on top
Although the recipe is extremely easy to make, it does require some time. Firstly because the butternut squash or the pumpkin needs to be baked. Secondly the mixture needs to cool and firm up in the fridge. And then of course the baking.
- Use butternut squash or pumpkin, clean, slice and bake at 180C for 45 minutes, or until nice and soft.
- Peel the skin and mash (with a fork is quite easy), then mix in one egg yolk, honey, cinnamon and the cardamom seeds. Leave to rest and firm up in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Spread the pumpkin mixture on top of the pastry sheet. Roll and slice.
- Brush with egg yolk and optionally sprinkle some brown sugar on the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes again at 180C to puff up and get nicely coloured on top.
One small tip.
Prepare the mixture by adding the honey and spices. Taste and adjust for sweetness, as some pumpkins or squashes are sweeter than others. Then when happy add the egg yolk into the mix.
More desert recipes: