Morels mushrooms recipe, fresh morels and wild garlic omelette.
Morels are in season form April to May…not a long season by any means, and if you can get hold of some, then better make the most of it. I was lucky as I found them in the supermarket, (imported from Turkey) and at the “small” price of £2, per 100g, a steal. Wild garlic is also in season now, so again, a great pairing here.
This is a rich dish if it’s made with duck eggs alone, so I used a hen egg instead, also there’s no cream or milk, just eggs.
- 1 duck egg, 1 hen egg (or 3 hen eggs)
- 10 wild garlic leaves
- 5-6 morel mushrooms depending on size (50g)
- 1 spoon of butter or 50ml olive oil
- smoked paprika (optional)
- Clean or wash the morels to get rid of any dirt that they might have on them, same thing with the wild garlic, drain well. Melt half the butter (or heat up the olive oil) in a frying pan and add the morels, cook for 2-3 minutes until soften. Wilt in the same pan the wild garlic for a few seconds and put them on a side.
- Heat the rest of the butter and add the well beaten eggs, seasoned with some salt and pepper to taste. Once the omelette is done to your taste, add the morels and the wild garlic on the top and sprinkle a touch of smoked paprika on the top, for colour and a richer flavour.