Kid goat stew, Romanian recipe with vegetables and polenta.
A one pot recipe, made in the oven, rich, healthy and easy to make. This recipe can be made the same way with pork, lamb or beef, even chicken. Make it with or without potatoes and use whatever herbs you like most.
- 1,5kg kid goat meat (ribs, chops, back)
- 2-3 spring onions (or 1 onion)
- 2-3 spring garlic (or 2 cloves garlic)
- 2 carrots, 2 red peppers, 2-3 tomatoes
- 3 medium potatoes (optional)
- 100ml oil
- 2 spoons white flour
- 1 spoon paprika (sweet, hot or smoked)
- herbs: thyme, parsley, oregano, dill (whatever you prefer)
- salt & pepper
Dice all the vegetables, into small cubes, or even larger should you wish. Heat the oil in a pan. Dust the meat with flour, shake off the excess. Brown the meat in the hot oil on all sides, once a nice crust has formed on the top, remove and keep aside.
Add all the vegetables to the pan, apart from the tomatoes and potatoes. Soften for a few minutes. Add the paprika, cook for 30 seconds. Drop the tomatoes and the potatoes into the pan, cover with water (a glass of white wine also works well). Bring to a simmer and season to taste with salt and pepper. Also add the herbs and spices. Thyme, parsley, bay leaf…to your taste.
Place in a preheated oven at 180C, covered for about one hour. The sauce will thicken by itself, from the flour and the potatoes. Serve with warm polenta or bread, and add some aromatic herbs over as a garnish and chili for spice.
Other popular recipes in this category:
- Best Romanian chicken paprikash with flour dumplings.
- Traditional cabbage rolls (sarmale) stuffed with minced pork and smoked meats.
- Chicken and noodles soup.