Black squid ink pasta with grilled baby squid.
To state that this black squid ink pasta is expensive is an understatement. At £3,75 per 500g it is expensive. These days, you can get some decent spaghetti for about £0,50 per 500g, so being 7.5 times more expensive this black squid ink pasta should really deliver.
Or is it a fad, a novelty, something more for the show than taste? I’ve kept the recipe simple, so I can try to taste the difference in the spaghetti.
- 100g black squid ink pasta (spaghetti)
- 3pcs baby squid (cleaned)
- 3 garlic gloves
- 2 spoons good olive oil
- salt & black pepper
- Boil the pasta according to the package instructions. Keep them as "al dente" or boil them as soft as you want really.
- Heat up the olive oil in a small pan and add the thinly sliced garlic, fry on a small heat until they start to catch on colour.
- Grill the baby squid, on a very hot griddle pan or bbq for 1 max 2 minutes on each side.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the oil and garlic with the hot black squid ink pasta, add the grilled squid and serve.
Tastewise? I’m not sure. I’ll give them another chance since I still have more than half a pack left. But at first impressions, I wasn’t too impressed. At least not 7.5 times more impressed than a decent pack of spaghetti.