Aubergine and pork stew. A simple tasty recipe, video recipe included.
Most stews I know feature potatoes, dumplings or even pasta, next to some kind of meat. Replace these omnipresent starchy ingredients with vegetables in this aubergine and pork stew recipe. It’s easy to make and super-tasty. The aubergines take well to the sauce, absorbing flavour and getting soft whilst still retaining some texture. Soft meat, great tasting vegetables.
- 500 grams cubed pork meat (shoulder, leg, collar)
- 2 aubergines
- 1 onion, 1 red pepper
- 500 grams of tomatoes (or 250 ml tomato passata)
- 100 ml oil
- salt, pepper, caraway, paprika - to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- dried thyme, fresh celery leaves, fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon of cornflour
- 1-2 dried chilies - optional
- Heat up the oil and brown the pork meat on all sides. Soften the vegetables (onions and pepper) for 2-3 minutes in the same pan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, paprika and caraway. Start by adding half a teaspoon of each, taste and adjust to your liking. All the aromas should be present, so add more of what you like best.
- Cover with water or stock (vegetable or chicken), add the bay leaves and a pinch of dried thyme. Again, to taste. Chilies are optional but I quite like a bit of heat. Leave the dish to simmer until the meat is nearly cooked. The time will be different depending on the cuts of meat used. Collar will cook faster than leg or shoulder for example.
- Follow with the tomatoes or tomato passata. Simmer for a few minutes more.
- Lastly add the aubergines and simmer until nice and soft. You can peel the skin if you wish, or leave them as they are. Again, the cooking time will be somewhat different depending on the size of the aubergines.
- Thicken the sauce with a teaspoon of cornflour diluted with a touch of water, and sprinkle freshly chopped parsley and celery leaves on the top.
Other similar recipes:
- Best Romanian chicken paprikash with flour dumplings.
- Easy pork goulash recipe with flour dumplings.
- Pork and cauliflower stew, video recipe included.